A 2 room tent offers a family or group camping together the opportunity to stay in one shelter. With internal room dividers, you can have separate sleeping and living spaces. Camp as a family or group and still enjoy the comfort of having separate spaces with separate rooms.
Look for a tent with good headroom, waterproof protection, space to sleep as well as large windows for ventilation.
In this article, we are going to review the following 2 room tents:
- Coleman 8-Person Camping Tent with Built-in Closet – 2 Room
- Coleman Cabin Tent with Instant Setup – 2 Room
- Ozark Trail 8-Person Modified Dome Tent – 2 Room
- CORE 10 Person Straight Wall Cabin Tent – 2 Room
- Ozark Trail 10-Person Family Camping Tent – 3 Room
What are the benefits of having a 2 room tent?
Communal space for groups
A two room tent with room dividers can be a great option for a large group camping together. Have added privacy when you want to, whether it is for sleeping or quiet time in the day. There is also the option to take the separator away and enjoy one large living space to spend time together.
The convenience of setting up one tent instead of many tents will save time. Once you have one set setup then you are ready to go. If you are a family camping with children, then you have the convenience of having them nearby.
The design of these tents is for large groups of people. This offers a more comfortable and spacious living space than smaller tents. Most of these tents offer high ceilings and plenty of room to move around.
–> If you are looking for more space, find reviews of 3 room tents here.
What features to look for when buying a 2 room tent?
Ease of setup
Two room tents tend to be larger. This may make assembly more complicated depending on the manufacturer. Find a tent that offers an easy assembly experience. One with easy to follow instruction manual and items that are color coded to go together. There are instant tents available that come with poles pre-attached to the tent.
With these tents, there is no assembly and setup is a much faster process. This depends on how much help you will have to set up and how much patience you are willing to put towards setting camp.
Once setup is done, you can begin to enjoy the fresh air, mountains, clear lakes and streams. (Here is a list of some of the most scenic places to camp.)
With a large group, a leaky tent is enough to ruin a camping trip. Make sure your tent will be able to withstand a rain storm if it comes your way. The waterproof rating tents use is the hydrostatic head rating, measured in millimetres. This metric should be no less than 1500mm. It is also a good idea to buy a tent that comes with a rainfly for added water protection.
As waterproofing is important, so is a good stream of airflow. Ventilation is important with large groups. You don’t want your tent to become too stuffy, hot and uncomfortable. Large tents usually offer advanced ventilation systems. Ventilation features include ground vents and mesh window or door openings. This allows for airflow and cross ventilation.
Price of a 2 room tent
The price of the 2 person tent you buy will depend on the manufacturer and the quality of the material. There are affordable options available. These options have the features to keep you and your group comfortable. Double check the tent you buy has all the necessary equipment and will be durable enough for your trip.
The Coleman Camping Tent is a cabin tent with built-in closet with shelves to help you keep organised. This is a fast pitch tent that you can set up in about 9 minutes. The pre-attached color coded poles help you set it up. There is also a WeatherTec system with patented welded floors. Also, inverted seams to keep you and your group warm and dry.
This tent offers room eight people and two queen airbeds. There is also a room divided for added privacy and the ability to create a 2 room tent.
- Built in closet to store items
- Hinged door for easy in and out access
- Rainfly included with waterproofing protection
- Protected seams to increase weather resistance
- Wind-responsive frame
- Zipper cuff made of weather-resistant fabric
- Not for extreme weather conditions
- May take longer than 9 minute setup
The Coleman Instant cabin tent is a quick setup tent with pre-attached poles. Assemble this tent in a minute and get started with your camping trip. It has a WeatherTec system. This includes patented welded floors and inverted seams to help you stay dry in the rain. There is also an integrated vented rainfly for added protection. The 10 person tent has a room divider for added privacy and the ability to create a two room tent.
- Instant setup in about a minute
- Hinged door offering easy in and out access
- Room divider for added privacy and more living spaces
- Pack up with ease with the carry bag
- May get wet if windows aren’t zipped all the way
- Not for extreme weather conditions
- Could have stronger zippers
The Ozark Trail Tent is a great option for family camping. This tent has a removable center room divider, which creates the privacy of a 2 room tent. It also provides the option to have one large open 115 square foot room.
There are two front D-shaped doors. These create separate exit and entry from either room when the divider is in place. There are also 4 windows that allow cross ventilation and a mesh roof for stargazing on clear nights.
- Fits 2 queen sized airbeds or 8 people in sleeping bags
- 2 rooms with separate doors for easy access
- Covered entryway for protected entrance
- 2 easy access ‘D’ style doors with windows that zip for privacy or roll down for ventilation
- 1 e-port for electrical cord access
- 1 movable hanging media pocket
- Roll-back fly for extra ventilation
- 4 windows and a mesh ceiling for cross-ventilation
- 1 removable room divider for living space options
- Interior lantern loop
- Hanging organiser and pockets for storage
- Clip-in gear loft for small items
- Removable fly with taped seams for weather protection
- 5 guy ropes for stability
- Attached mud mat
- Not for severe weather
- Limited interior space compared to other manufacturers
The CORE Straight Wall Cabin Tent sleeps 10 people and fits two queen air mattresses with a center height of 86’’. The tent has H2O Block Technology as well as adjustable ground vents to keep it ventilated. There is also a room divider to create a 2 room tent and features a front and back door access.
A gear loft with lantern hook and pockets helps you keep items organised. An electrical cord access port is also available. It comes with tent, tent poles, rainfly, gear loft, room divider, tent stakes, expandable carry bag and a 1 Year Limited Warranty.
- Straight walls for a spacious interior
- Advanced venting system
- Water resistant exterior
- Durable tent fabric (68D Polyester)
- Electrical access port to run power
- Expandable carry bag
- Poles could be stronger
- Not for windy conditions
If you’re looking for a little more space, I thought I’d add a review here for a 3 room tent. The Ozark Trail 10-Person Family camping tent is a nice option for first-time campers. It can be for group camping trips and is easy to set up. There is extra headroom for a more comfortable experience.
It also has two separate doors and two room dividers for three separate sleeping areas. There is also a seam-taped rainfly for weather protection. An enclosed screen room and roll-back area helps keep you cool on hot summer nights.
- 10 person camping tent with 2 doors
- Easy to set up
- Ideal for families, groups and kids
- Two room tent with divider curtain for privacy
- Multiple storage pockets
- Screened-in porch for ventilation on hot days and bug protection
- Mesh body allows rainfly to roll back for added ventilation
- Made of polyester taffeta and polyester mesh with PE sheet floor
- Not for heavy rainfall
- Poles could be sturdier
To Wrap it up, My Personal Recommendation
The 2 room tent you choose will depend on the size of your group and the nature of your camping trip. The design and structure of the tent may depend on the level of space you need. The type of fabric and weatherproofing material the tent has will depend on the time of year. Also, the conditions you will be camping in.
If I had to pick my choice from the five tents reviewed, I would go with the CORE 10 Person Straight Wall Cabin Tent. The room divider gives you the ability to create two living spaces as well as front and back door access. The straight walls make the inside of this tent feel spacious and your group will be able to move around .
I also think this tent is a good choice for summer months as it has an advanced venting system. This draws in cool air from the ground and pushes hot air through the large mesh ceiling. From past experience, stuffy tents with many people can become highly uncomfortable. This is especially in summer months which makes this feature appealing.
Finally, the water resistant fabric is to a high grade. The seams have been thermally heated to keep water out as well. Looking at customer feedback, leakages haven’t been a problem for those sleeping in this tent.
Take the time to consider the size, material and features offered. There are many 2 room tents available. Find one that will keep your group comfortable, dry and happy for an enjoyable time away in nature.