Camping with family and friends is an opportunity to break away from normal routines. It can do wonders for your wellbeing and help you shake off any stress you may be experiencing in daily life.
If you are looking for the best 4 person tent for your group, there are many great options available. WIth so many tents for camping to choose from, it can feel overwhelming when you start looking around. Thinking about tent size is a good starting point. You may be looking for something large enough to accommodate your family and friends.
Find our guide to the best 4 person tents below with reviews of the following tents:
- Coleman Sundome Tent
- Coleman Cabin Tent with Instant Setup
- ALPS Mountaineering Lynx 4-Person Tent
- MOON LENCE Camping Tent
- ALPS Mountaineering Taurus 4-Person Tent
What are the benefits of having a 4 person tent?
The best 4 person tent is easy to setup
One of the greatest benefits of a 4 person tent is that it is less stressful for you. Vacations can definitely be stressful. I’ve had memories of returning from camping trips where I’ve felt like I need another vacation.
With a 4 person tent, you can settle into camping with family and friends. All you need to do is setup one tent and you are ready to connect with nature. You’ll get home feeling stress-free, recharged and energised.
When you camp with family and friends, it takes the group to make the camp work. Everyone has a role and can pitch in. Everyone is interacting so much more than if you were in a hotel room. You can breathe in the fresh air, connect with nature and share this space with those closest to you.
What features to look for when buying the best 4 person tent?
Price – How much is a tent for 4 people?
A family tent for four people might cost you from $50 to $180. They typically cost around $200 to $500 for a spacious cabin tent. If you are searching for a huge tent for up to 12 people then you are looking at prices around $500 to $1,200. Prices will vary depending on the manufacturer and quality of material.
The numbers used to describe your tent are the season rating. 1 Season and 2 Season rating tents are virtually the same. They are thin and often come without, a rainfly and are for summer use.
3 Season rating tents are the most versatile and are comfortable in summer, spring and fall. They are not ideal for winter but could work in mild winter months.
4 Season tents are not meant for four seasons. They are most appropriate for winter only. You could also use them in early spring and late fall but they will leave you sweating in summer. A 5 season tent can withstand the harshest conditions.
Ventilation or airflow is an important factor when choosing your tent. You can get air flowing from the mesh panelled windows, doorways and also venting. This is an important factor in cold months to prevent condensation. It is also important in warmer months of the year when heat and humidity are a big concern.
The poles are the main support for your tent and made from aluminum or steel. Most tents these days are freestanding. This means they stand alone with only the support of tent poles. Keep in mind, the more tent poles, the more you will need to set up. Yet, there are tents available that offer pre-attached poles. This makes assembly much easier to do.
You can find some tips here for how to set up your tent.https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/tent-set-up.html
The Coleman Sundome Tent for 4 people is a compact, yet spacious tent. If it rains, the WeatherTec system with welded floors and inverted seams. This will help keep moisture out. There is a ground vent and two windows to increase air circulation. Stay cool and comfortable.
The compact dome shape helps this tent stand up to the wind. You also get extra weather protection from a door awning and an included rainfly.
Setup is simple. There are snag-free, continuous pole sleeves. Inside this tent, you’ll find enough room to stretch out on a queen-size airbed. Also, there are storage pockets that help keep you organised. When your camping trip is over, this tent packs up into an expandable carry bag.
- Stay dry with the WeatherTec system. Patented welded floors and inverted seams.
- Easy setup. Snag-free, continuous pole sleeves.
- Increased ventilation with a ground vent.
- Ventilation and views with 2 windows.
- Electrical power inside your tent with e-port.
- Storage pockets to keep gear organised.
- Rainfly included for extra weather protection.
- Durable, Polyguard fabric is made to last season after season.
- Expandable carry bag.
- Spacious interior with room for 1 queen airbed.
- Not for extreme weather conditions
- May be more comfortable for 2 or 3 people
The Coleman Cabin Tent for 4 people offers instant setup in 60 seconds. If you’re one of those people who do not enjoy pitching or taking down their tent, then this tent is a good option.
The tent’s WeatherTec system with patented welded floors and inverted seams. This helps to keep you dry. There is also an integrated vented rainfly. This will help improve airflow (no extra assembly required).
This tent also keeps safety in mind with fire retardant material. This ensures the fabric will not flare dangerously out of control. You have time to escape in the event of an emergency. The fabric also has UV Guard fabric for sun protection with an SPF50.
- Instant tent that sets up in just 1 minute
- Spacious interior with room for 1 queen airbed
- WeatherTec system. Patented welded floors and inverted seams to stay dry.
- Rugged Polyguard 2X double thick fabric.
- Integrated vented rainfly to increase airflow.
- Measures 8 x 7 feet with 4 foot 11 inch center height.
- Standing room in center could be taller
- Not for heavy rainstorms
The Lynx 4 person tent offers high quality features. This tent has aluminum poles and mesh taking up half of the walls on each side. This allows for increased ventilation.
It is also easy to set up. It is a 2 pole rectangular dome style tent with pole clips that fit over the poles for quick assembly. To keep moisture out, there are factory sealed fly and floor seam. Also, weatherproof fly buckets.
Also included are 2 doors for easy entry and exit. As well as 2 vestibules for extra gear storage and weather protection.
- Free-standing two-pole design
- Easy assembly with pole clips that quickly snap over the tent poles
- Polyester fly with 1500mm coating (resists UV damage)
- Factory-sealed fly and floor seams for weather protection
- Poly taffeta floor with 2000mm coating
- Extra large #8 zippers
- Two doors and two vestibules for easy entry and exit
- Weatherproof fly buckles for maximum adjustability
- Vestibules for storage and weather protection
- Half mesh walls for increased ventilation
- Lighter material is less durable
- Not for very windy conditions
The Moon Lence Camping Tent for 4 people helps you to relax in comfort. You can store this lightweight tent in a carry bag which makes it convenient to transport. It’s ideal for a lightweight trip.
Once you reach camp, the tent is easy to set up and offers capacity for 4 adults. The 1000mm water resistant rainfly will help keep moisture out.
There is also great airflow with the all-round mesh fabric of the inner tent. Also, extra ground vent that pushes warm air up and out. If you’re camping in summer, you can stay cool and comfortable all night.
- Weather protection. 1000mm water resistance.
- Includes rainfly and double layer tent for stronger resistance to elements.
- Breathable and stable. Large section of mesh and 1 D-shaped door.
- Ground vent and two windows for increased ventilation.
- Easy setup with 2 shock cord connecting poles with clips.
- Risk free purchase. 30-day money back guarantee and lifetime warranty.
- Not for heavy rainstorms
The Taurus 4 person tent is a simple 2-pole freestanding dome tent. It has two doors and two vestibules (one over each door). It also has extra large #8 zippers which make entry and exit hassle free.
The two doors each have mesh windows which help ventilation. The fly also aids airfly as it has extra vents. The tent is fully weatherproof with fly and floor seams to keep you dry.
- Free-standing two-pole design (fiberglass poles).
- Easy assembly with pole clips.
- 75D 185T polyester fly with 1500 waterproof coating (also resists UV).
- Factory-sealed fly and floor seams for weather protection.
- 75D 185T poly taffeta floor with 2000mm coating.
- Extra large #8 zippers on doors and vestibules.
- Easy entry and great ventilation with two doors.
- Two vestibules for storage and weather protection.
- Weatherproof fly buckets for max adjustability.
- Mesh roof vents for increased airflow and star-gazing.
- Mesh storage pockets, gear loft, aluminum stakes and guy ropes included.
- Plastic windows could be higher quality
- Windows located against mesh cannot be closed
If you are intending on car camping (traveling by car to your campsite) then you can take pretty much any size tent you like. So the type of tent you buy depends on the nature of your trip and the time of year you will be camping.
If I had to pick my favourite tent from those reviewed, I would go with the ALPS Mountaineering Lynx 4-Person Tent. The fact that you don’t have to assemble this tent allows you to get into nature straight away. Also, the weatherproof fly, floor and sealed seams will help keep you dry.
Camping is fun. There’s no reason why tent shopping should be any different. Buying the best 4 person tent should be exciting. If you choose the right one, it will last you a long time. You and your family or friends can create some great memories outdoors.