If you’re looking for a quick and easy shelter, a tent cot might be a simple solution for sleeping outside. Tent cots are compact, easy to transport and lightweight. They are also simple to setup once you reach camp. For those that don’t want the hassle of pitching a tent, a tent cot could be a great option.
- Kamp-Rite Original Tent Cot – 1 Person
- Kamp-Rite Oversize Tent Cot – 1 Person
- Tangkula Tent Cot – 1 Person
- Winterial Tent Cot – 2 Person
What are the benefits of having a tent cot?
Save time setting up camp
With a tent cot, you save a lot of time setting up camp. There are no poles to assemble or instructions to read. Simply unfold, secure and you have a place to sleep. It is as simple as setting any camp furniture in place and ready to go.
Less weight to carry
Another benefit of tent cots is that they are light weight. If you are conscious about the amount of gear you bring, this will help to lighten the load.
Easy to transport
Tent cots are also smaller in size then other shelters. This makes them compact, easy to carry and transport in your car.
Increase time outdoors
Since you can get setup so fast, you will have more time to enjoy your trip. Go for a hike, take in the fresh air and enjoy time outdoors immediately.
No sleeping on the ground with a tent cot
Tents cots will keep you elevated above the ground. Avoid sleeping on rocks or uneven surfaces. You also don’t have to worry about bugs and creatures crawling on you at night. Also, you can avoid any damp surface or water runoff.
What features to look for when buying the best tent cot?
Look for tent cots with nylon or polyester fabrics. These materials are lightweight, versatile and affordable. They also usually are waterproof, helping to keep you dry and comfortable.
It’s recommended to find a tent cot with additional weather protection. For example choosing one that comes with a rainfly will help keep you comfortable.
It’s also important to look for a tent cot that allows for good ventilation. This will keep you cool and comfortable on warm nights. In colder months, airflow will prevent the buildup of condensation. This could cause dampness and an uncomfortable place to rest. Look for tent cots with window openings and venting so that you are well ventilated.
Space to move around
Tent cots are designed to be smaller than tents. Yet, this doesn’t mean you have to be completely confined and uncomfortable. Make sure to find one that will fit your personal size and weight so you don’t feel like a sardine. Make sure to check product dimension details as well as the weight limit so you don’t have any problems.
Some tent cots offer versatility in that you can fold them into other camp furniture. For example, some tent cots become chairs and also actual cots when not a tent. This allows you to use your tent cot in other ways.
Make sure your tent cot will support you. You don’t want it to blow over because of windy weather. Even worse, to break because it can’t support your weight. Check the quality of the frame. Most tent cots use aluminum that has been designed to support you against the elements.
Kamp-Rite offers you a chair, cot and tent all in one. This cot only weighs 24 pounds and setup is quick and effortless. This tent cot is ideal for solo or group outings.
Elevated 11 inches off the ground, it attaches on a durable frame. The weight capacity is 300 pounds. The bed dimensions are 84 x 28 x 35 inches. Spend less time setting up your camp, and more time sleeping under the stars.
- Converts from lounge chair to cot to personal tent
- Stands 11 inches off the ground
- Quick and easy setup
- Includes rainfly and carry bag
- 2 zippered entrances and mesh openings. Close or open for airflow.
- No-See-Um mesh on all windows and doors.
- Elevated base protects you from rocks, bugs and dampness.
- Heavy duty 190T nylon.
- Interior storage pockets.
- Not for very rainy weather (better for fair conditions)
- Condensation could be a problem without proper ventilation
The Kamp-Right Oversize Tent cot stands 11” above the ground. It offers you more comfort with its larger sleeping area.
It is wider and longer than the Original Tent cot. The domed top creates more head room and interior space. It offers you protection from the elements and delivers comfort and convenience.
For added stability, base includes two extra support legs at the end of the cot. A unique hinge design allows this cot to become a lounge chair, which offers some versatility.
You can set this cot up in a few minutes. It also comes with a complete waterproof Kamp-Rite Rainfly and carry bag. The weight recommendation rating is 350 lbs. The bed dimensions are 90 (length) by 32 (width) inches.
- Heavy duty 190T nylon
- No-See-Um mesh on all windows and doors
- Elevated cot base. Off-the-ground comfort.
- Easy to use. corrosion-resistant zippers.
- Unique multi-function hinge design.
- Converts to a lounge chair or a cot.
- Superior quality clips and buckles.
- Quick, easy set up within minutes.
- Heavy weight makes transport difficult
- When becomes a chair you sit on the buckles
- Material could be more durable
The Tangkula tent cot is made of heavy duty 420D PU coated oxford. Also, 600D waterproof oxford tent and rainfly. Designed to keep you dry in most rainstorms.
The aluminum frame keeps you 12” above the ground. Stay safe away from insects, rocks and moisture. It also features a breathable micro mosquito mesh to keep the bugs away.
This tent cot features large D-shape screen doors with zippers for easy entry and exit. It also has a fold-able design. When your trip is complete, fold and put into a carry bag. It’s also simple to carry and transport.
- Heavy duty fabric and rainfly to keep you dry
- Lightweight aluminum frame
- Elevated sleeping platform to keep you dry and off the ground.
- Large D-shape screen doors with zipper for simple entry.
- Breathable micro mosquito mesh
- Stable structure
- Water resistant bottom material
- Versatile design. Use as tent cot or as a flat cot.
- Quick and easy setup.
- Might find this larger/ bulkier than advertised
- Instructions could be better
- Material could be better quality
The Winterial double tent cot will keep you off the ground. Avoid rocks, animals and moisture. This tent cot is made from a heavy duty nylon material to keep you comfortable.
It contains 4 no-see-um doors with mesh lining to prevent insects from entering the tent. It also keeps the tent breathable in warm summer months.
This tent cot is also versatile. Use it as a lounge chair or an actual cot. The collapsible frame can support up to 500 pounds in weight. The total weight of the tent is 44 pounds. The dimensions of the tent are 85 x 46 x 41 and it is ideal for two people.
- Set up in minutes
- Sleeps 2 people
- Aluminum collapsible frame
- Handles up to 500 pounds
- Made with heavy duty nylon fabric
- 5 windows and insect free mesh lining
- Lightweight design
- Waterproof design to keep you dry.
- Larger and heavier than advertised
- Not for very rainy conditions
- Material could be more durable
The tent cot you choose will depend on the nature of your trip and time of year. Also, if it is for one or two people and if it will fit you comfortably. As you can see, there are many options available for you to sleep well outdoors.
If I had to pick my favorite tent cot from those reviewed above, I would go with the Kamp-Rite Original tent cot for one person. This self-contained tent cot will offer you a private sleep shelter and keep you above the ground. You’ll have protection from rocks, insects and dampness.
I also like that there are two entryways for easy access. As well as openings at each side so that you have a good level of ventilation.
My top tip is to check the dimensions for whatever cot you choose so that you feel comfortable.